July 12 (Reuters) – Ukraine said it had launched a long-range rocket strike against Russian forces and military equipment in southern Ukraine, territory it plans to retake in a a counter-offensive using hundreds of thousands of soldiers. Read more
* The death toll under a collapsed building in the Donetsk region town of Chasiv Yar has risen to 43 as rescue efforts have not yet exceeded four days after the building was hit by Russian rocket fire , said the emergency services. Read more
* At least 12 people were injured in the shelling of the southern city of Mykolaiv overnight, the regional governor said. In the northeast, the mayor of Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second city, told Ukrainian television that it was constantly being bombarded by the Russians.
* At least seven people were killed and 70 injured in an attack by Ukrainian armed forces on Monday in the Russian town of Nova Kakhovka in southern Kherson region, the Russian-installed administration said. Ukrainian officials said their forces destroyed an ammunition depot in Nova Kakhovka.
* Russian and Russian-backed separatist forces encircle the town of Sieversk in the Donetsk region, Russian state news agency TASS said, citing Rodion Miroshnik, ambassador to Moscow of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic.
* Ukraine’s general staff said Russia unleashed a wave of shelling as it sought to seize Donetsk, the other province in the eastern industrial region of Donbass, after taking Lugansk to the north. He said the widespread shelling amounted to preparations for an escalation of hostilities.