The mother and sister of a man who was killed by a bomb blast in Yangon on Tuesday were held for questioning the following day, according to a neighbor of the family.
“They were taken away briefly for questioning, but they returned around 10 p.m. that night,” said a resident of the same neighborhood in Dawbon Township in Yangon, where the victim had lived with his family.
Htein Lin Htun, 25, was the only person to die when a bomb left near a crowded bus stop at the corner of Anawrahta Rd and 35th Street in Kyauktada Township around 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. Nine others were injured.
At a press conference on Wednesday, junta spokesman General Zaw Min Tun suggested the dead man may have been the perpetrator of the attack.
“We went through his phone and saw text messages containing conversations about a bombing order,” he said, adding that Htein Lin Htun was allegedly trained as a member of the People’s Defense Forces (PDF) anti-diet.
Myanmar Now attempted to contact his family to comment on the military’s claims, but received no response.
According to the neighbor, who did not want to be identified, Htein Lin Htun was not well known to other people living in the neighborhood.
Members of urban guerrilla groups active in Yangon said they did not believe the attack was the work of the city’s numerous anti-junta resistance forces.
Noting that the blast appeared to have been caused by a C-4 explosive, a resistance fighter said he found the regime’s account of what happened totally implausible.
“We could guess what type of explosive was used from the explosion itself. But it is almost impossible for an urban guerrilla group to make a C-4 bomb, because the material is simply too expensive “, did he declare.
“It’s only the military trying to frame the resistance groups,” he added.
He also said that the junta’s discovery of two unexploded bombs in the same area also raised questions about who was really behind the explosion.
Numerous guerrilla groups have been formed in Myanmar’s two largest cities, Yangon and Mandalay, following the brutal crackdown on protests against last year’s military coup.
Although these groups have carried out numerous attacks against junta targets, including civilians accused of acting as informants for the military, they have not been linked to any incidents involving members of the general public.
All groups opposed to the restoration of military rule in Myanmar, including the National Unity Shadow Government (NUG), have been designated as terrorist organizations by the regime.
In a statement released shortly after Tuesday’s explosion, the NUG Ministry of Defense denounced “such a violent attack which targets civilians”.
Naing Htoo Aung, secretary of the ministry, told Myanmar Now that no group operating under NUG command was responsible for the incident.
He also suggested that the attack could have been carried out to create a “misunderstanding” between the public and the armed wing of the NUG, the PDF.