Artillery types

Seoul: DPRK launches 170 artillery projectiles

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea launches 170 artillery projectiles towards the Yellow Sea and the Sea of ​​Japan.

  • South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol (South Korean presidential office)

The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said, as reported by the South Korean Kyodo news agency, that the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) launched about 170 artillery projectiles towards the Sea of ​​Japan and the Yellow Sea on Friday.

The DPRK launched 130 artillery projectiles into the Yellow Sea on Friday and another 40 into the Sea of ​​Japan around dawn, according to the report. The shells struck outside South Korea’s exclusive economic zone.

South Korean President Yoo Suk-yeol criticized the DPRK’s missile launches, calling them a violation of the 2018 comprehensive military agreement that defined a maritime buffer zone between Seoul and Pyongyang to reduce military tensions.

“We are looking at everything one by one. But it is correct that it is a violation of the September 19 agreement,” Yoon was quoted as saying by Yonhap news agency.

In addition, Yoon said Seoul was putting in place “a preparedness posture against North Korea’s provocations.”

Moreover, according to the Yonhap, a South Korean foreign ministry official said on Friday that Seoul had unilaterally sanctioned 15 North Korean individuals and 16 institutions. In case of future provocations, the ministry said it would consider new sanctions against the DPRK.

In a similar vein, Japan also criticized the DPRK’s 27th ballistic missile launch since the start of 2022, according to Japanese Defense Minister Yasukazu Hamada on Friday.

“North Korea is launching missiles with unprecedented frequency this year. This is the eighth launch since late September alone. North Korea is [behaving] unilaterally causing tensions. These actions by North Korea threaten the peace and security of our country and the region and are absolutely unacceptable. They also violate UN resolutions. Our country has vigorously protested and condemned [these actions] via the embassy in Beijing,” Hamada told a news conference in Tokyo.

The South Korean statements came in the wake of a series of joint US-South Korean drills, which often also included Japan and caused the DPRK to push the already intense relationship between the two to escalate.

Earlier on Thursday, October 13, the Yonhap The news agency reported, citing the South Korean armed forces, that the DPRK tested a ballistic missile again today.

“North Korea launched an unidentified type ballistic missile towards the Sea of ​​Japan,” the South Korean chiefs of staff said in a statement.

On Friday (October 7th), the DPRK had accused Seoul of engaging in a “provocative action” by “inciting military tension” near their common borders, state media reported.

According to a press release from Korean Central News Agencyquoting a DPRK military spokesman, South Korea had conducted “artillery fire for about 10 hours near the forward defense area of ​​the KPA Fifth Corps” on Thursday.

The statement said the KPA “took strong military countermeasures” in response to the “provocative action”, adding that the KPA “sends a stern warning to the South Korean military inciting military tension in the area. front line with reckless action”.

Read more: DPRK claims to have tested two nuclear-capable cruise missiles